There are times in life when you wish you would’ve heard of a product or a way to do something A LONG TIME AGO. I recently had this experience.
I started following We Choose Virtues on Facebook a while ago, but never got around to purchasing the product. A few months ago I got the opportunity to get the product and review it.
In just a short amount of time I have seen some major changes in not only my children, but in ME.
So what IS We Choose Virtues?
We Choose Virtues is a way of instilling character in our kids in a simple and inspiring way.
I have had a lot of talks with my mom friends about how HARD it is to teach things like contentment, patience, gentleness, self control, ETC. To me, contentment is something I have had the hardest time trying to understand how to teach.
That is exactly why We Choose Virtues is the perfect match for my family and any other family struggling with out to teach these virtues to their young children.
Let me set up the Family Kit and how it works for you:
– There are only THREE rules. I think this is so important because young children don’t respond well to tons of rules. The three rules are Obey, Be Kind, Be A Helper. That’s it. And yet, it is all you need.
– 12 Virtues. There are twelve virtues and each have an easy “catchphrase” to help children be able to understand what the virtue means easily. There is also a memory verse for each virtue!
Here are two examples of the Virtues – these are the virtues I’ve been working the hardest on in our home because WE need it:
I am Content. I have my “WANTER” under control. I am NOT… bored, greedy or always wanting more and I don’t beg or whine. “I have made myself calm and content like a young child in its mother’s arms. Deep down inside me, I am as content as a young child.” Psalm 131:2 (NIrV)
I am Gentle. I speak quietly and touch softly. I am NOT… rough, harsh or loud and I don’t destroy things or hurt people! “A gentle answer turns anger away. But mean words stir up anger.” Proverbs 15:1 NIrV
(Whew. WHO DOESN’T NEED TO LEARN THESE VIRTUES?! I know I need to work on them just as much as my children.)
– Everything is set up as a positive experience. There are rewards and encouraging words. I love that it uses the Caterpillar, the Butterfly, and the Magnifying glass as examples for the virtues. Each of these have a catchphrase too that helps us to show examples that our kids understand easily:
Caterpillar: “I don’t have to stay the way I am! I am born to change, and change I will!”
Butterfly: “I will choose to use virtue, and become strong and beautiful on the inside!”
Magnifying glass: “I will never stop looking for virtue in YOU!”
The Family Kit includes:
- Parenting Cards (these are “teacher” cards for families)
- Virtue Flashcards for Families (play games and memorize easier with these cards!)
- Kids Virtue Poster
- Three Rules Poster
- Butterfly Awards (downloadable)
- Family Character Assessments (downloadable)
- Kids of VirtueVille Coloring Pages (downloadable)
So how do we like the product? We love it.
Rory is at the stage where she is soaking up all the information like a sponge. I can see her little wheels turning and thinking about virtues and whether or not she is choosing them. Sometimes I literally see her stop and think and then walk way before she does something she knows she shouldn’t do. And she is also reminding Ryder to be gentle or whatever too. Let’s face it. Ryder is a threenager and is having a bit of a harder time than Rory. But she is still loving it too.
Ryder loves the coloring pages so much. She creates personalities in her head for the characters and colors them accordingly. I love that they send you a file so you can print the coloring pages out an unlimited amount of times.
I think one of the very best parts to me is that it is teaching ME to choose virtues too. It has reminded me that I can tell them to be virtuous all day long but if I am not SHOWING them virtues in my actions it is a waste of time.
And GUESS WHAT, Y’ALL?!
My readers are getting 15% off anything in their store! Just enter this promo code at checkout: VIRTUE15 for 15% off anything in their store!
But they are having a special Black Friday through Cyber Monday too! The promo code is HOLIDAY30 for 30% off anything in their store. (Only one promo code per order.)
I love that they have family kits, children’s church kits, homeschool kits, etc! You just cannot go wrong and they have so many choices! If you do purchase the product, please tell me what you get, I would love to know! I have several friends who use We Choose Virtues in their homes and all have rave reviews!
*I received this product as compensation but, as always, the opinions are my own. I would never lead you astray, dear readers!*