I’m not sure there is much more cliche than a New Year Goals post, but here we are anyway. 2016 was a year of self discovery and quietness from me in life and on the blog. I regret not documenting the fun, hilarious, and crazy adventures like in years past.
Every time I start thinking about what I want 2017 to be like or what I want to focus on, the words “HOPE” and “JOY” spring forward immediately. So, I am declaring 2017 the year of both hope and joy. I will hope with joy and I will have joy in the hope I am given by Christ in every situation I face. Even if it is hard to do.
I do have a few personal goals for myself and my family. I’d love to look back this time next year and see what I stuck to and what I didn’t. Hopefully I will be able to keep them up!
- Dating. I have declared 2017 the year of dates for our family. Andy and I have committed to going on a date every single month this year. This doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but when you don’t have family around it takes a lot of planning and money sometimes. But we can spare $100 a month to go on a date together. Andy and I are finally at a stage where our kids can be with a babysitter without us worrying about how they are doing. We have kids who sleep (ish), who sit at the dinner table, are out of diapers, and don’t wear us out with all the pitching of fits. We are finally more rested and I want to rekindle the romance and really focus on my marriage this year. Last year we had a great year, but I was more focused on how I was as a mom because that needed more work. But 2017 is the year for my marriage. Andy is also going to take the girls on their own separate dates each month. They are so excited about this and so am I!
- Quiet Time. Last year I made huge strides in my quiet time, but want to continue that consistency. Reading my Bible (almost) every day this past fall really changed things for me. It was so much easier to find joy in the ugly and to face my busy days. This year I want to continue that and also journal more. I’ve been thinking a lot about how I would love to leave the girls Bibles that are all marked up with dates and situations going on in my life. I want them to know I had hard days and that joy came through the words on the page of the Bible.
- Organization and Time Management. It is no secret that I’m pretty much the worst time manager. This is probably my least favorite thing about myself. I’m going to REALLY work on that this year. Last fall I was busier than I’ve ever been and about lost my mind trying to manage all the time and failed so bad so many times. A key to success in this will be having my home more organized. I’ve already made huge improvements over Christmas break and hope I can keep up the momentum!
- Adventure. In 2017, I really want to seek out adventures- for myself and as a family. I have irrational fears of camping and would love to face that fear and go camping with my family. We live in the perfect place to do that and hike as much as our little legs can handle! I want to take advantage of that more this year. The girls and I have a goal to visit all 50 states before they are 18 and this year I’d really like to knock off 5 states (they have 11 already!). So I am already planning our summer road trip to include some stops in new states.
- Hand-written notes. This sounds silly, but I would love to keep up the goal of writing one hand written note a week and mailing it to the person. There is nothing that lifts your spirits more than a hand written card, right?!
- Health. I’m not making huge claims of losing 239283 pounds that I need to lose, but I do want to concentrate on cooking more healthy meals and not eating out as much. I want to meal plan better and cook some things out of my comfort zone.
- Finances. Along with the health aspect, I want to cook more because I want to save the $. I want to cut down on eating out to 2 times a week MAX. We always go eat on Sunday so I’m hoping we can continue that and maybe one other night at the very most. I also want to be more intentional with our money and think more Dave-like. This will all also help my #1 goal because Andy likes me more if I stick to the budget- HA HA!
- Skincare. I know you are thinking- wait what?!- right now but for real. 2017 I’m going to concentrate hard on skincare. I was fortunate enough to not have acne as a teenager but LORD HAVE MERCY after having kids my skin has gone through some struggles. Not only do I have wrinkles popping up every day, I also have times where there are lots of spots. IT IS RIDICULOUS. So this year I’m going to try and find the right fit for my skin and stick with that routine. I’m open for any suggestions on retexturing my face while also getting rid of sun spots.
- Learn something new. I would love to learn a new skill this year. I have no idea what, but I want to find something and learn how to do it well. Or maybe practice something until I master it.
- Writing. Nothing fills me with more peace and joy than writing. I don’t know if I would call myself a writer, but I do love to sit down and let my fingers fly across the keyboard. I would LOVE to make the goal of writing on the blog once a week. This has a lot to do with my #3 goal of time management. I’m planning to set aside a writing time each week to sit down and blog or work on something else. To risk putting myself out there, my ultimate dream in life is to write a book. I’ve been working on one for quite some time but haven’t gotten the momentum to finally finish it. I would absolutely love for 2017 to be that year. And y’all, listen. NOTHING scares me more than that. But each year that ticks by and I haven’t done it is such a deep regret for me that it is almost physically painful. I’m finally at the point where I can say that even if no one ever read it, I would still reach for my ultimate dream.
Ten goals seems like a lot but they are all very simple and attainable (I hope).
What are your 2016 goals? If you are someone who really sticks to your goals do you have any tips for doing so?
Happy New Year, friends! I hope your year is filled with hope and joy!