Y’all. I’m so overwhelmingly behind on posting I don’t even know where to start.
So I shall make a list. Because why not?
1. Last weekend I got to attend the Lifeway event dotMom in Chattanooga. It was one of those weekends where I just felt so many burdens I carry as a mom taken from me and left at the feet of Jesus. I just can’t say enough. Usually when moms get together, especially in large masses, it seems like the entire time we are trying to compare our kids with each other and compete to see who has the best sleeper/eater/napper/behavior/cartwheel. I mean it is just down right ridiculous the things we care about. My favorite statement was this – “Our goal is not to get our kids to behave well but to love Jesus without abandon.” IS THAT NOT THE TRUTH?! I mean… I just can’t tell you how much that spoke right to my heart. Everyone who knows us at all knows we aren’t “precious” people. We aren’t quiet or subdued. We are loud and FUN and crazy. My kids will never be the people who just sit and stare at a wall. They are going to be the ones who have to be corrected over and over. They are the ones who make fart noises and say things like, “I HAVE TO POOP RIGHT NOW MOM!”, during church. I just feel like I’ve gotten to the point, after having a hard time accepting the non-preciousness of my children, that I am now embracing it. They might not sit still ever but they are hilarious and wonderful in their own stinkerish ways. I’m totally okay with that.
Anyways. I also wanted to add that I worked for Lifeway as a “volunteer extraordinaire” and loved every second of it. I loved getting to talk with all the moms from all over and tell them how fantastic the book was that they were purchasing (even sometimes when I hadn’t read them…). My friend Amber and I ran a register and it was pretty epic how many times we got an error on the computer. Johnny was our leader and he was hilarious too. He made up this story about how I was a stalker and it was pretty fantastic. On Friday night I got to meet and talk to Jen Hatmaker, Melanie Shankle, and Sophie Hudson and y’all it tickled me to death. They were all SO SO SO nice and wonderful to their fans.
2. I had a “Debbie” moment while in Chattanooga. (Debbie is my momma and I definitely get my laughter and embarrassing moments from her.)
I had taken a z-quil to ensure a good night’s rest on my first night in the hotel. I’m a bit skiddish about staying alone in a hotel room, you see. Well, I woke up needing to use the restroom about 3 am. As I’m walking back to my bed, I heard this loud “Shhhhhhhhhlump” and a little knock on the door and then something touched my foot. Well. Naturally, I SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER. Then I looked down and realized it was just the checkout papers that they slide under the door in the middle of the night. The funny part is that the lady who slipped it under the door screamed out as well and fell on the ground. I looked out the peephole and saw her laying on the ground, holding her chest. Apparently I scared the mess out of her with my scream. I kinda felt bad so I yelled, “I’m so sorry!” and she yelled back, “It’s okay! I hope I don’t get fired!” HA HA. Then I went to bed and laughed for a good hour.
3. Ryder had a big cardiologist appointment yesterday! Her pulmonary valve is closing over time and eventually (doctor thinks in about two years) she will need a balloon cath done. I’m just so thankful it wasn’t right now. I know I say this all the time, but God is so good and He knows exactly what we need and when we need it. He cares for my girls more than I will ever be able to. That gives me so much peace and hope.
4. Rory has been on non-stop ear infection mode since May pretty much. So this next week she will have her adenoids removed and her tubes redone. Hopefully it’ll be an easy recovery like the last time. And hopefully she will sleep better.
Because they told me she would and PLEASE SWEET LORD HAVE MERCY ON ME and let it be true! Girlfriend is wearing me OUT.
5. Friday morning I got a text from Andy. It was amazing. I’m still laughing.
Let’s discuss. One: Andrew clearly has amazing texting skillz. Two: I’m loving how he just gives up after a quick brush. Three: LOOK AT HER FACE. Misery. Four: That is the only dress Andy puts on the child. Which is hilarious.
By the time I got home on Sunday the girls, especially Rory because she actually has hair, looked a HOT MESS. Andrew, poor thing, doesn’t quite understand that the children have to have baths while momma is gone. I did some major scrubbing Sunday night. Bless it.
Here we are Sunday night… doesn’t she look…. dirty? haha!
Side note: Friday was picture day. Fantastic!
But in all seriousness, I’m just so thankful Andy took care of them this weekend so I could go on a little (much needed!) retreat. They might have been dirty but who cares?! They are alive and had a blast with their daddy!
And thank goodness, they are now clean and have pretty hair again!